J. Anderson Davis
J. Anderson (Andy) Davis is a partner of Brinson Askew Berry, specializing in complex business litigation, personal injury, governmental official liability, and class actions. He serves as City Attorney for the City of Rome, lead attorney for the Rome-Floyd County Development Authority, and outside General Counsel for Shorter University.
In 2016, Andy was named a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, one of the premier legal associations in the U.S. Since 2006, he has been named a Georgia Super Lawyer by Law & Politics Magazine and Atlanta Magazine. He serves as an active member of Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, and member of the International Municipal Lawyers Association.
Andy has been co-counsel or lead counsel in over 325 cases in the federal courts. He has tried numerous cases in federal and superior courts. Three of his notable cases include:
- Andy served as Counsel for Cities and Counties in Georgia in the class action litigation against the Online Travel Companies for excise taxes. Andy continues to serve as Class Administrator for the Settlement paying out proceeds collected to over 183 cities and counties. (City of Rome, et al. vs. Hotels.com, et al., U.S.D.C., N.D.Ga., Civ. Action No. 4:05-cv-249-HLM).
- He and Sam Lucas tried a wrongful death case in the United States District Court and won a $30 million verdict. That case was featured on the Investigative Discovery channel’s “Behind Mansion Walls” TV show.
- Andy served as lead and liaison counsel for 56 funeral homes in the class action multi-district litigation involving the Tri-State Crematory, Noble, Ga. (In Re Tri-State Crematory Litigation, 215 F.R.D. 660 (N.D. Ga 2003).
Active in the community throughout his time in Rome, Andy has received many community and civic awards for his leadership. He was one of the first recipients of the Georgia Supreme Court Chief Justice Benham Awards for Community Service. Currently he is President of the University of Georgia Law School Alumni Association, and a member of the Board of Governors of the State Bar of Georgia.
Andy, an Eagle Scout, received the Silver Beaver Award from the Northwest Georgia Council of Boy Scouts of America. He was honored with a Heart of the Community Award, presented by the Heart of the Community Foundation and Redmond Regional Medical Center to unsung heroes. He has served as chairman of the board for Leadership Georgia, an affiliate of the Georgia Chamber of Commerce.
He graduated from the University of Georgia with a Bachelor of Arts in political science and a Juris Doctorate from the University of Georgia School of Law. He is married to the former Janice Jetton who graduated from the University of Alabama; she is a CPA with Whittington, Jones, & Rudert CPA firm in Rome. They have two adult children. Claire Davis McWhorter who is a finance major graduate from the University of Georgia and Hunter Davis a “Double Dawg” graduate with an Bachelors and Masters in Accounting from the University of Georgia.
- University of Georgia School of Law, Athens, GA (J.D., 1984)
- University of Georgia, (A.B., Political Science 1979)
Bar and Court Admissions
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Middle Districts
- Georgia Supreme Court
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- All state and superior courts in Georgia
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS AND Honors
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Georgia Super Lawyer, 2006 to present
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- State Bar of Georgia, Board of Governors Representative, Georgia Defense Lawyers Association
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Best Lawyers in America
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Past Chairman, Leadership Georgia
- Silver Beaver Award, Northwest Georgia Council of Boy Scouts of America
- Eagle Scout
Brinson Askew Berry's own Andy Davis was recently featured on Behind Mansion Walls, a TV series on Investigation Discovery, season 3, episode 12, entitled Covet and Kill. Watch the episode to learn more about this tragic story and how Andy contributed to the resolution of the case.
P.O. Box 5007
615 West 1st Street
Rome, Georgia 30161
Practice AreasBusiness Litigation, Personal Injury/Tort Litigation, Class Action Litigation, Products Liability Litigation, Education, Employment, Estate Litigation, Financial Services Litigation, Insurance Defense Litigation, Labor & Employment Litigation, Litigation, Medical Malpractice Litigation, Appellate Litigation, Municipality/Local Government
- City of Moultrie Joins Opioid Lawsuit
- Davis Named to Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel
- U.S. Supreme Court Will Not Hear Case Involving Brinson Askew Berry Client
- Rome-Floyd County Development Authority to Be Lead Agency for New Industry Recruitment
- Rome Adopts Regulations for Sexually Oriented Businesses
Connect with Andy Davis on