Are you working from home due to COVID-19? Leah Nelson, of Nelson Leadership, has come up with 5 Practical Tips for Working From Home that we wanted to share! If you have any tips of your own, please leave them in the comments.
Leah writes, that our 'mental maps' of how life is 'supposed' to be have all been turned upside down, as Dr Henry Cloud says. Stay in as much of a routine as possible when working from home. Again, structure builds endorphins and fights off anxiety. On that note, here are five practical tips for working from home:
- Get Up And Go To Bed At Same Time
- Get Dressed: Guys: Shave. Ladies: Put on your makeup and do your hair. You probably will do this anyway if you are on video calls but for those of you mainly on the phone, I’d recommend still doing this. When you feel dressed for work, you are also more productive, and it helps to normalize this situation.
- Exercise Every Day: Even if it’s just walking around the block. Get outside. Exercise helps endorphins which also helps your sleep. Sunshine will help your mood, too.
- Set Working Hours: Start and then STOP. Go do something else after work. Spend time with your family, get your mind on something else. If you work 24/7 and can't let it go, you will drain your brain. This environment is already more mentally draining than normal times.
- Don’t Look At The News: Until you are mentally and emotionally ready for the day (dressed, exercise, etc.). Otherwise, you are more likely to catastrophize the rest of the day. What you do first sets the mood for the day!