Thomas D. Richardson
Thomas D. (Tom) Richardson has been practicing law in the areas of bankruptcy, creditors’ rights, and business litigation for more than 35 years, having joined the firm in 1982 as a Floyd County Attorney. Prior to joining Brinson Askew and Berry, Tom practiced in Atlanta with a firm specializing in bankruptcy.
In 1990, Tom was appointed to serve as Chapter 11 Trustee in several business cases pending in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Georgia. In 1998, Tom was appointed by the Office of the United States Trustee to serve as a Chapter 7 Trustee Panel member for the United States Bankruptcy Court, and he continues to serve as a Chapter 7 Trustee Panel member today. Tom also has served as a receiver in matters pending in Superior Court.
In addition to his representation of individuals, businesses, and bankruptcy trustees in all aspects of bankruptcy, Tom has represented individuals and businesses working in a broad range of business litigation matters that include appeals since 1980. He likewise represents banks, credit unions, and commercial finance companies in secured transactions, financial workouts, asset recovery and liquidation.
In 2014, Tom was honored to accept an invitation to join the inaugural class of the Georgia Bankruptcy American Inn of Court as Master, an organization he continues to serve today.
Tom is active in his community. He is a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Rome and serves on the Advisory Board of the Salvation Army – Rome. He is a graduate of the Greater Rome Chamber of Commerce’s Leadership Rome program and later served as its co-coordinator for Class XIV. Tom also has volunteered as a coach for various youth sports programs in Rome.
- Emory University School of Law, (J.D., 1980)
- Bowling Green State University, (M.B.A., 1978)
- Albion College,(B.A., 1976)
Honors: Cum Laude
Bar and Court Admissions
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Georgia
- United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit Georgia, 1980
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Georgia, 1990-1996
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Georgia, 1998-Present
- Rome Bar Association
- Rome Bar Association, 1985-1986
- Atlanta Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Georgia, Bankruptcy and Creditor's Rights Section
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees
- Region 21 Trustee Association
- Commercial Law League of America
- Metropolitan Atlanta Consumer Bankruptcy Group
P.O. Box 5007
615 West 1st Street
Rome, Georgia 30161
- Commercial Real Estate
- Financial Services Litigation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Bankruptcy, Financial Restructuring, & Creditor's Rights
- Business Litigation